Rochdale grooming trial: investigation to focus on victims, not ethnicity, says DPP – Daily Telegraph

“Kier Starmer, the Director of Public Prosecutions, has said that a review into child sexual exploitation would focus on the failure to listen to victims rather than the ethnicity of the perpetrators.”

Full story

Daily Telegraph, 23rd July 2012

Source: www.telegraph.co.uk

Report into cases of Violence Against Women and Girls – Crown Prosecution Service

“The CPS has tried to find ways of assessing the impact it has on improving the safety of the victims in cases of violence against women and girls.”

Full report

Crown Prosecution Service, 23rd July 2012

Source: www.cps.gov.uk

Women sue the Met over handling of sexual assault cases – The Guardian

Posted July 23rd, 2012 in human rights, inquiries, news, police, rape, sexual offences, time limits, victims by sally

“Women who say they were let down by the Metropolitan police when they reported rape and sexual assault, including two who were attacked by the taxi driver John Worboys, are suing the force. The women are attempting to establish that police who fail to investigate such crimes properly are violating victims’ human rights.”

Full story

The Guardian, 20th July 2012

Source: www.guardian.co.uk

Domestic violence conviction rates at all-time high – The Guardian

“Domestic violence conviction rates are at their highest after a four-year campaign by prosecutors to tackle violence against women and girls, the director of public prosecutions will announce on Monday.”

Full story

The Guardian, 22nd July 2012

Source: www.guardian.co.uk

Nine in ten sex attacks go unreported, warns DPP – Daily Telegraph

“Keir Starmer, the Director of Public Prosecutions, will reveal that convictions for rape are now at record levels but it is only the tip of the iceberg. Just ten per cent of victims of serious sexual assault will go to the police, mainly because they do not believe the criminal justice system will help them, he will say.”

Full story

Daily Telegraph, 22nd July 2012

Source: www.telegraph.co.uk

Man jailed for 16 years could be freed through fresh DNA evidence – The Guardian

“A man who has spent almost 16 years in prison for a crime he always denied committing may soon be freed after DNA traces from another man persuaded investigators to refer his case to the court of appeal.”

Full story

The Guardian, 18th July 2012

Source: www.guardian.co.uk

Community policeman jailed for raping teenager – Daily Telegraph

Posted July 18th, 2012 in community support officers, news, rape, sentencing by sally

“A community policeman who raped a teenage girl after spiking her drink with a sleeping pill has been jailed for six-and-a-half years.”

Full story

Daily Telegraph, 18th July 2012

Source: www.telegraph.co.uk

UK Border Agency slams decision on child rapist deportation – The Independent

Posted July 16th, 2012 in appeals, asylum, child abuse, deportation, EC law, human rights, news, rape by sally

“The UK Border Agency has reacted with fury to a court ruling allowing a Sudanese asylum seeker who raped a 12-year-old girl to remain in Britain.”

Full story

The Independent, 15th July 2012

Source: www.independent.co.uk

Freed sex offenders ‘raped again’ – The Independent

Posted July 16th, 2012 in news, rape, recidivists, sexual offences by sally

“More than 400 sex offenders set free in the last three years went on to commit rape, Ministry of Justice figures have revealed. Last year almost one in seven convicted rapists had a previous conviction for a sex crime, the highest level for five years.”

Full story

The Independent, 16th July 2012

Source: www.independent.co.uk

Justice for murdered rape victims: the DPP changes policy on rape counts left on file – Halsbury’s Law Exchange

Posted July 12th, 2012 in families, murder, news, rape, victims by sally

“Last week Kier Starmer QC, the Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP), announced that cases of rape linked to murder should be prosecuted rather than being left on file.”

Full story

Halsbury’s Law Exchange, 11th July 2012

Source: www.halsburyslawexchange.co.uk

Victims’ families will be asked for views on rape charges linked to murder following Clough campaign – Crown Prosecution Service

Posted July 5th, 2012 in families, murder, news, rape, victims by sally

Families of victims will be consulted on whether rape charges linked to murder should be prosecuted, the Director of Public Prosecutions, Keir Starmer QC has announced in guidance to prosecutors issued today.

Full story

Crown Prosecution Service, 5th July 2012

Source: www.cps.gov.uk

DPP changing policy on murder and rape cases – BBC News

Posted July 5th, 2012 in murder, news, rape by sally

“Cases of rape linked to murder should be prosecuted rather than being left on file, the Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP) is set to announce.”

Full story

BBC News, 5th July 2012

Source: www.bbc.co.uk

Preston gang rape men not significant risk: Appeal Court – BBC News

Posted June 28th, 2012 in appeals, news, rape, sentencing by sally

“Two men who laughed as they took part in a gang rape in Preston do not pose a significant risk to women, three senior judges have ruled.”

Full story

BBC News, 27th June 2012

Source: www.bbc.co.uk

John Worboys victims in damages case setback – BBC News

“Victims of black cab rapist John Worboys have lost a crucial step in their High Court battle for damages.”

Full story

BBC News, 25th June 2012

Source: www.bbc.co.uk

Rochdale paedophile ringleader is named – The Guardian

Posted June 22nd, 2012 in child abuse, news, rape, reporting restrictions, sexual grooming by sally

“The ringleader of a gang of men in Rochdale who groomed young white girls for sex has been named after he was found guilty of 30 separate child rape charges. Shabir Ahmed, 59, led a child sex exploitation ring of nine men who targeted vulnerable young girls in the Rochdale and Oldham areas of Greater Manchester.”

Full story

The Guardian, 21st June 2012

Source: www.guardian.co.uk

Rapist jailed after 11-year wait – The Independent

Posted June 13th, 2012 in child abuse, news, rape, sentencing, victims by sally

“A sex offender was jailed today 11 years after his young victim put off going to police because of an EastEnders storyline.”

Full story

The Independent, 13th June 2012

Source: www.independent.co.uk

Cpl Anne-Marie Ellement death: Liberty in new inquest call – BBC News

Posted June 11th, 2012 in armed forces, human rights, inquests, inquiries, judicial review, news, rape, suicide by sally

“Human rights group Liberty is to apply for a judicial review into the inquest of a soldier who hanged herself after alleging two colleagues had raped her.”

Full story

BBC News, 11th June 2012

Source: www.bbc.co.uk

Rape detective’s arrest sparks Met review of 63 cases – The Independent

Posted June 11th, 2012 in criminal records, inquiries, news, ombudsmen, police, rape by sally

“The Metropolitan police is reviewing 63 sex-crime investigations dating back more than two years after a detective on its specialist rape-inquiry team was arrested over allegations of falsifying crime records.”

Full story

The Independent, 9th June 2012

Source: www.independent.co.uk

Nottingham detective Trevor Gray jailed for rape – BBC News

Posted May 31st, 2012 in news, police, rape, sentencing by sally

“A detective with Nottinghamshire Police has been jailed for raping a woman in her home.”

Full story

BBC News, 31st May 2012

Source; www.bbc.co.uk

 

Julian Assange loses extradition fight – The Independent

Posted May 30th, 2012 in extradition, news, rape, sexual offences, Supreme Court by sally

” WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange today lost his Supreme Court fight against extradition to Sweden to face sex crime allegations.”

Full story

The Independent, 30th May 2012

Source: www.independent.co.uk