Jehovah’s Witnesses congregation’s efforts to block inquiry squashed – The Guardian

‘A Jehovah’s Witnesses congregation in Manchester has lost a legal attempt to block an investigation into its handling of sexual abuse allegations, after failing to convince a judge that the inquiry amounted to religious discrimination.’

Full story

The Guardian, 4th April 2017

Source: www.guardian.co.uk

Alexander Horne: Select Committee Powers of Enforcement – UK Constitutional Law Association

‘On 7 March 2017, the House of Commons Committee of Privileges announced a new inquiry into the exercise and enforcement of the powers of the House in relation to select committees and contempts of Parliament.’

Full story

UK Constitutional Law Association, 23rd March 2017

Source: www.ukconstitutionallaw.org

MPs launch unprecedented inquiry into air pollution amid Government delay and inaction – The Independent

‘In an unprecedented move, four House of Commons select committees are to investigate the state of air pollution in cities across the country.’

Full story

The Independent, 20th March 2017

Source: www.independent.co.uk

MPs launch inquiry into government’s personal injury reforms – Legal Futures

‘MPs on the justice select committee have launched a “short” inquiry into the personal injury reforms contained in the Prisons and Courts Bill. The announcement comes ahead of the bill’s second reading – during which the principles behind it will be debated – on Monday.’

Full story

Legal Futures, 17th march 2017

Source: www.legalfutures.com

Police wind up Sir Edward Heath sex abuse inquiry – Daily Telegraph

Posted March 20th, 2017 in child abuse, inquiries, news, police, private investigators, sexual offences by sally

‘The £1  million police investigation into allegations that Sir Edward Heath was a paedophile is being wound up amid claims it has found no evidence to justify tarnishing the former prime minister’s reputation.’

Full story

Daily Telegraph, 18th March 2017

Source: www.telegraph.co.uk

NHS data loss scandal has prompted five inquiries, ministers say – The Guardian

Posted March 14th, 2017 in data protection, disclosure, documents, health, inquiries, news by sally

‘The NHS’s loss of more than half a million pieces of confidential medical correspondence is so serious that it has triggered five separate investigations, ministers have admitted.’

Full story

The Guardian, 13th March 2017

Source: www.guardian.co.uk

Inquiry finds peers claiming £300 a day for no work – but it is axed to avoid ‘press storm’ – Daily Telegraph

Posted March 14th, 2017 in expenses, inquiries, news, parliament, peerages & dignities by sally

‘A probe into peers who enjoy House of Lords perks without doing any work was dropped to avoid a “press storm”, a former lord speaker has admitted.’

Full story

Daily Telegraph, 13th March 2017

Source: www.telegraph.co.uk

UK child deportations of 50s: ‘most catastrophic child abuse’ in memory – The Guardian

Posted March 10th, 2017 in child abuse, inquiries, news by sally

‘The deportation of thousands of British children to Australia, Canada and Southern Rhodesia (now Zimbabwe), created the most catastrophic child abuse legacy in living memory, the national inquiry into child sexual abuse has been told.’

Full story

The Guardian, 9th March 2017

Source: www.guardian.co.uk

Miners’ strike policing inquiry ‘would have been witch hunt’ – BBC News

Posted March 9th, 2017 in disclosure, documents, industrial action, inquiries, miners, news, police by sally

‘The Thatcher government feared a “witch hunt” if a public inquiry were held into policing of the 1984-5 miners’ strike, declassified files show.’

Full story

BBC News, 9th March 2017

Source: www.bbc.co.uk

Rotherham sexual abuse scandal: no misconduct found so far, IPCC says – The Guardian

‘Hundreds of allegations of police wrongdoing during the investigation into child sexual exploitation in Rotherham have not resulted in a single case of misconduct against an officer, the police watchdog has said.’

Full story

The Guardian, 9th March 2017

Source: www.guardian.co.uk

Lawyer criticises child abuse inquiry for not safeguarding evidence – The Guardian

‘The national child abuse inquiry has been criticised by a prominent lawyer representing victims for failing to seize potentially vital caches of evidence before they are destroyed.’

Full story

The Guardian, 2nd March 2017

Source: www.guardian.co.uk

Lawyers back call for national child abuse inquiry to name perpetrators – The Guardian

Posted March 1st, 2017 in anonymity, child abuse, inquiries, news by sally

‘Lawyers have called for more transparency from the national child abuse inquiry over the naming of the perpetrators after their identities were withheld from the public hearings.’

Full story

The Guardian, 1st March 2017

Source: www.guardian.co.uk

Child sex abuse inquiry public hearings to start – BBC News

Posted February 27th, 2017 in charities, child abuse, children, Christianity, immigration, inquiries, news, sexual offences by sally

‘The Independent Inquiry into Child Sexual Abuse in England and Wales is to hold its first public hearings later.’

Full story

BBC News, 27th February 2017

Source: www.bbc.co.uk

Council to set up QC-led inquiry into controversial compulsory purchase order – Local Government Lawyer

Posted February 24th, 2017 in compulsory purchase, inquiries, news by sally

‘The full council at the London Borough of Lewisham has unanimously agreed to set up an independent inquiry led by a QC to examine matters relating to a controversial proposed compulsory purchase order.’

Full story

Local Government Lawyer, 23rd February 2017

Source: www.localgovernmentlawyer.co.uk

Police surgeon carried out ‘unacceptable’ examinations – BBC News

Posted February 24th, 2017 in complaints, doctors, inquiries, news, police by sally

‘A former police surgeon conducted “woefully or grossly” unacceptable medical examinations, an independent investigation found.’

Full story

BBC News, 23rd February 2017

Source: www.bbc.co.uk

A repeat of Mid Staffs errors is ‘inevitable’, warns Sir Robert Francis – Local Government Lawyer

Posted February 17th, 2017 in hospitals, inquiries, news by sally

‘The QC who carried out a review of failures at the Mid Staffs Hospital five years ago says that a similar collapse is ‘inevitable’ under current circumstances where some health trusts are accepting impossible performance targets. ‘

Full story

Local Government Lawyer, 17th February 2017

Source: www.localgovernmentlawyer.co.uk

Scotland Yard facing £3m legal threat over bungled VIP child abuse inquiry – Daily Telegraph

Posted February 14th, 2017 in child abuse, inquiries, London, news, police by sally

‘The Metropolitan Police is facing legal action costing as much as £3million from three prominent members of society who claimed their reputations were tarnished over false sexual abuse allegations.’

Full story

Daily Telegraph, 14th February 2017

Source: www.telegraph.co.uk

Met Police ‘shredded internal documents after inquiry into undercover officers launched’ – The Independent

Posted February 10th, 2017 in complaints, disclosure, evidence, inquiries, news, police, spying by sally

‘The Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC) is investigating accusations a top police unit deleted a mass of files shortly after the announcement of a major probe that was to look into its activities.’

Full story

The Independent, 9th February 2017

Source: www.independent.co.uk

Cyril Smith child abuse inquiry finds no evidence of cover-up – The Guardian

Posted February 9th, 2017 in child abuse, complaints, inquiries, news, parliament, police, victims by sally

‘A police inquiry has found no evidence of a cover-up of historical sexual abuse at a residential school linked to the late politician Cyril Smith, prompting criticisms from an MP.’

Full story

The Guardian, February 2017

Source: www.guardian.co.uk

Claims of child-on-child sexual offences soar in England and Wales – The Guardian

‘Allegations of children committing sexual offences against other children have risen 78% in England and Wales in four years, prompting renewed calls for compulsory education on sexual consent and healthy relationships.’

Full story

The Guardian, 3rd February 2017

Source: www.guardian.co.uk